Sunday, October 23, 2011

Duke's Mission Sept./Oct. 2011

September has been full of meeting new people, serving them, and loving them right where they are at.  Duke met a Nigerian woman who has been through so many trials.  Duke loved to visit with her, and took a wonderful piece of advice regarding prayer before he left her with a blessing.  I just love this...Duke writes, Kalista talked about prayer like a champ. “We are given the power to wake up every day from God, and before we sleep at night we were given the strength to live that day.  He loves us and He gives us our power.  So we must pray every morning and every night.”

Duke is also running into a lot of new experiences...Knockin.  Cool people.  Nothing crazy except I saw a retarded cat!  That’s all I can say cuz I can’t really explain it, but...it was retarded.  And this...I got back, and a massive cockroach was on the closet wall!  I HATE cockroaches!!!! So, I tried to stab it with 2 knives.  It was fast, and running towards me, so I ran like a little girl!!!  We eventually got it but it took a while.  :)  Haha.  Freaking crazy hunt we were on!  

And then of course, there is always the adversity... Got flipped off today.  Usually I would flip them off back, and we’d fight...but I’m a missionary :)  O Yea!   Or this...So yesterday we went to the International Apartments to talk Bill.  We turned the corner, and 3 people yelled, “Mormons!” and scattered.  We are so loved.  :)

But he is learning so much, even in the face of adversity...So I am sick and tired of being disrespected.  Today we went to a little 7 year old flag football game.  Walkin’ back to the car a guy yelled, “I don’t believe in the Joe Smith!  In that gold bible either!”  “God bless ya!”,  I said...I was // -THIS CLOSE to wrappin’ him around a pole.  But is it my place?  When Jesus walked the streets, did you think He ever got mad at people who were spittin’ on Him?  Sure, but he quickly forgave.  We Mormons aren’t prized by the world, and so I am reminded of the words of Elder Holland, “Welcome...to the journey of the Disciples of Jesus Christ.”  We move closer to Him even when we feel a fraction of what He felt.

Even when I thought that Duke's faith and testimony couldn't get any bigger, he proves me wrong.  Makes me so proud to see where he is at, all that he is learning at 19 years old.  Amazing. 

One of the biggest things that he has learned is that he is there for love and service to others (regardless if they get baptized into our church). Had a lesson with Tara this morning.  So happy I did!  It reminded my why DUKE was out here.  Love, without thinking like the people I talk to have something whack in their brains, and we need to “convince” them.  Nah, these fools are here to baptize, I’m here to bless the best way I can.  I’m, grateful for her, she’s a better Christian than the lot of us.  :)  She taught me, what Ma’s been teaching me!  I thank her for that.  Our church is true, but Christ is who we’re trying to be like, and it’s God who we’re trying to make proud. :) Bottom line.

He has been changing people's tires, helping people move, and learning to love and serve many.  He is getting fed really well, and LOVES the Texas BBQ.  Anyone who knows Duke, is not shocked by this.  :)
"A squirrel chillin' on our deck"


Enjoying the lush green grass.  :)

Duke loves his bike, tries too many tricks sometimes and crashes a bit...but LOVES his bike!

Elder Hansen had to have his eyes dilated, Duke thought
the glasses were priceless! 

The giant cockroach...Duke HATES them!  

His District buddies!

Missionaries are still boys...being boys...and what cute boys they are!

Dinner at a ward members home.



Brooke getting baptized.

It finally rained!!!!




2 comments:

  1. I love the pic of the cockroach! My Darin brought one home in his suitcase from Al Salvador! I found it in the laundry room on top of all his clothes! I was able to smash it, because it was in shock from the climate change. It was huge!!! Better watch out Kim, when Duke brings his things home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Babka Family! I just wanted to write and tell you how much I enjoy your son Duke, aka Elder Babka. He is such a great kid and missionary. We've loved having him in our ward, and he and his companion Elder Hansen bring great joy to our family. They feel like part of our family when they're here. (By the way, I am the mom of the kids in the picture you have above.) Tonight, your son did all the dishes after dinner; it was awesome! :) Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that you're boy is a rock star, and we just love him. Thanks for doing such a great job as parents; he is blessing many lives out here!
    Sincerely,
    Shannon Mattson
    Austin, Texas
    P.S. By the way, if you have an email address, I can send you a picture I took of him tonight. He got stuck while sitting at the little plastic picnic table with my 7 year old son. He couldn't get up afterward, and it was hilarious! My email address is shannon.mattson71@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete