Sunday, November 27, 2011

Duke's Mission Letters Oct./Nov.

Duke is having such an amazing experience in Texas!  I have been so happy that he has met so many supportive and loving families that take care of him.  As a mommy of a missionary, it makes me feel so much better about him being away for 2 years.  Thanksgiving was very different this year!  Duke is in Texas, of course, and Jace was in California for a lacrosse tournament.  We sat down to have our prayer for dinner, and I started crying like a baby!  Anyone who knows me...knows how much I hate to cry...but I couldn't help myself!  :)

Duke loves his p-days (Mondays) to get caught up on laundry, and get spoiled by one of his adoptive families out in Texas, the Waldorf's.  Lourdes Waldorf is Duke's surrogate mommy there, and does a fantastic job spoiling him rotten!  Lunches...bowling...laundry...and more!  Then you have countless numbers of others that love him, he calls these families his "home bases".  There are so many wonderful families sharing their time and love, and I am grateful.

He is continuing to learn so much, much more than just scripture.  "Shared Mosiah 4:21 for dinner tonight.  I often look at my life, and see a lot of things need to change.  I'm overwhelmed, and don't know where to start.  But King Benjamin talks about patience, and diligence.  I like that.  God knows our potential, and how we need to progress to get there.  So, if I'm to win the prize, I gotta be content, but never satisfied.  Always growing stronger."

He continues to wreck on his bike...often!  He had mentioned to me that he thinks it is Satan...I told him I think it is user error.  :)  "So pretty sure Satan is after me.  Especially on my bike.  I was riding on some grass.  There were no bumps, no nothin' that could knock me off, and the next thing I know I was tangled with my bike, and my head hit the dirt!  Then my tire was flat!  For no apparent reason at all, and Elder Hansen and I walked 2 miles to the car.  So as soon as I see the devil when the millennium hits...guess what I'll do? Flip him off!"  He had already wrecked 3-4 times the week before, and one of the Bishop's in a ward there actually bought him a new front rim for his bike!  Yikes!  I guess as a mommy, I am thankful he always has a helmet on!

He has been loving the food!  "Rudy's" is one of his favorite stops...church members have been taking him out for brisket, Costco pizza (his favorite) and one woman actually called me on my cell phone to get the recipe for my chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting!  She said she was having Duke and his companion over for dinner, and asked him what he would like to have for dessert.  He wanted his "Ma's famous peanut butter frosting" and knowing Duke, he probably didn't eat much of the cake with all the frosting...plus some!

He has been loving to see the changes in people's lives as they hear the messages of Christ. "I love opening up people's eyes to see that Jesus Christ is always there for us.  By showing this, He can hear us.  Just like He did when He was here on earth."  and "I'm just so amazed at what the Lord can do for these people is they just show a lil faith.  Just got to keep on goin'.  Baby steps to the big kingdom." 


"I love opening up people's eyes to one fact: so many believe miracles are dead...they aren't!"


Duke had an amazing experience with a friend.  Seth Waldorf (the same family that spoils him) was driving home from work early one morning.  His friend James, who he works with was driving in front of him.  Apparently James hit a pot hole in the street, and lost control of his car.  He was ejected in an awful crash.  Seth ran to his side and tried to stop the bleeding from his head with his shirt.  Later, Seth asked Duke to go to the hospital with him to administer a priesthood blessing.  "I anointed, and Seth gave the most beautiful blessing.  There were machines breathing for James, and part of his skull was missing.  As we blessed him, he was squeezing our hands.  The priesthood ain't no joke."  He then informed us in his last letter that James is improving so much.  Still unable to talk, but making great strides.  Amazing miracles that happen in our lives, especially when we are in a place (as Duke is) to serve others.  Wonderful blessings for all of us.

He writes our family weekly with journal entries.  At the end of his letters, he leaves us with a quote.  Here are some of the recent ones.

"Each of our lives is like a painting, and we are the master.  Each day, and each act can be another stroke on the canvas.  if our hearts are in the right place we will create something of beauty that will touch people's lives, and be remembered."  _Robert Duncan


"Fill your mind with truth, fill your life with service, and fill your heart with love." -Thomas Monson


"It's not so much what we believe, but what we do because we believe" - Ballard


He just got a new companion, and loves him to death!  Elder Burtock is from Arizona, and weighs a whopping 121lbs!  i told Duke to make sure not to break him.  Duke said he would try not to, although..."I did have to man handle him the other day to tickle him...everybody needs a tickle!"


So grateful Duke is still the Duke we love, and he continues to learn so much.

1 comment:

  1. wow! I love your family so much! This is such a great post! Your family will be so blessed by Duke's service. Enjoyed all the "missionary Duke" stories the other night...Ha! They were great!

    ReplyDelete